Translate

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Another Day, Another Post!


Guess who’s back?  Back again? 

1999, apparently, based on the lyrics.  Hey!

What’s up, wonderful readers?  I know I said this blog would be, well, essentially abandoned until I got time to get it together again, but hey, good news for you – I’m back a little early with a few new AT apps!

Let’s cut right to the chase, yeah?  This is a 3 for 1 special – like Harold’s – no, iHarold’s!  Let’s get some chicken, y’all!

iDress for Weather  – $1.99 through iTunes, and such a cool tool to use for your elementary students (and, let’s be honest, some of your high school students, too – like that girl over there in the short skirt and see thru skirt tromping through the snow.  Seriously.)  Anyone using the app organizes their “closet” depending on temperature – hot, warm, cool, cold, rainy or really cold.  You can customize the temperature levels to best fit you – for instance, 40 degrees might be a really hot day in Alaska – and you can even add pictures of your own wardrobe!

Let me be flat out honest – I just searched my Android for a similar app.  This app is cool enough that it might be enough to push me to get an iDevice.

And next, sticking with the iProduct routine, we’ve got the iReward Chart!  This cool little tool (Free for the lite version, $3.99 for the unlocked version) can be used at home or in the classroom to keep track of behavior – and who doesn’t like stickers?  And really, when an APP of all things has been shown on The Today Show, CNNMoney, USA Today, TechCrunch, CNet and The Huffington Post, you kinda gotta give it a chance.

And it’s worth it, really.  Your students or kids can collect starts for activities based on a system you create, and you can create matching goals, too.  Maybe Joey gets five stars for staying in his seat all class period?  Maybe he turns those stars in at the end of the week for a pencil?  Maybe he saves his stars, all 17 of them, and when he hits 20, he gets 20 minutes on the computer?  The opportunities are endless!

NBC says the iReward Chart is “a thoroughly modern app that’ll make youyou’re your family feel like a winner.” 

Enough said.

But not quite, ‘cuz this is a Harold’s 3 for 1 deal!  So let’s review one more, because you (and I) are just that awesome!

Sign4Me does exactly what it says on the tin – it allows people who don’t know sign language or are still learning to use an avatar (fake computer dude) to sign for them, choosing from over 11,500 words.  If you want to use the app to learn signs, you can slow down the avatar’s speed or even zoom in on his hands. 

The app is $12.99, but it’s value is priceless for someone trying to communicate who doesn’t yet know enough signs.

That’s the end of the 3 for 1 special, but I’ve got an extra special adult app that I’ve found useful in my own life!

Sleep as Android is just the coolest thing ever.  The app lets you set the ideal number of hours you’d like to sleep each night, and it records the noises you make during the night (are you a person who snores?  You’ll finally know for sure!).  The app creates flowcharts and graphs that show you how much deep sleep you’re getting a night, and there are captchas to keep you from turning off the alarm and going back to sleep.  I mean, really, can you complete five math problems like 16x12+15 five times over and then turn over and sleep again?  I sure can’t!  The add on for the app allows you to get advice regarding your sleep habits – for instance, it tells me today that I should sleep around seven hours to get the best deep sleep and I do best if I fall asleep around 11:30. 

The app is $2.89, and the add on is $1.29.  And I’d pay it again, because it’s so, so worth it.

And with that, I bid adieu.  For a little bit.  We'll see!




No comments:

Post a Comment