Translate

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Going out with a Bang!

Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen!  It's my final reviewing post, which means THERE ARE NO LIMITS!

Except there totally are limits, because the Internet, shockingly, does not have all the answers.  And I actually mean that.  I wanted to review either Read 180 or Achieve 3000, but regardless of where I look, I can't find a price for either.  Of course, when prices aren't listed but free demos are, you can safely bet it's going to be expensive.

So you're going to get a two for the price of one, except we don't know the price of either!  Good times.

Read 180 looks amazing.  What I like about Read 180 is that you can also use System 44, which is aimed at older students still reading at the K-4 level.  That's where my students need to be, and it gets frustrating to continue to give them passages talking about puppies and kittens and rainbows and sno-cones when they want to read about disasters and machine guns and Kobe Bryant.  Now, of course, I'm not saying System 44 is the be all end all of every differentiation and levelling problem, but hey, it can't be any worse than what I'm using right now. 

Cost of Read 180 and System 44?  I'm guesstimating $8,000,000. 

What, you don't think that's accurate?  Leave me a note with the actual cost, and I'll be happy to update.

And then there's Achieve 3000.  Again, amazing differentiation tool.  Everyone takes a placement test, and each person is assigned their Lexie level.  What's cool is that everyone in your class can read the same article.  I'm doing something similar with a great Common Core book, but the book, as great as it is, only covers three levels.  With Achieve 3000, I could meet all of my students' needs, since they span a six grade level gap.

Cost of Achieve 3000?  Exactly $5,762,769.21  Or thereabouts.

Well, gang, it's been fun, but that's the assignment!  I think I might be back, though - I'm having too much fun with this blogging! 

No comments:

Post a Comment